Search This Blog

August 5, 2013

Sunday - Not Sunny But You Brighten the Day With Your Presence

Reading Jennifer’s words today reminds me even more of the vast differences between humans and dogs.

We as humans are far too complex and we trouble ourselves with so much that is not as important as we think.

Have you ever had a day at work where you came home completely exhausted? You wonder, “Why am I so tired?” I didn't really accomplish much today. As you look back on the day you realize it was spent worrying about “stuff” and it’s usually other people’s stuff.


Dog’s however live for today, they live for the moment. They don’t let unimportant things that aren't going to matter a hundred years from now steal away what really matters.

At the beginning of their lives, we teach our puppies to walk, "speak" and play, then throughout the remainder of their lives we tell them to sit down and be quiet. We hold them back to “save” them from themselves but in doing so we stop them from living in the moment.

Diesel says, “Regardless of how much health we have, we have our health to spend. So let’s spend it!”

Jenn writes:
You are tired this morning... as I sipped my coffee,
you're usual inquisitive gaze is intermittently disrupted by your heavy eyelids. Breakfast doesn't seem to interest you so much this morning... napping is better.


Any day spent with you is my favourite day,
so today is my new favourite day.
Last night was a biggie for you with burger snacks and bubble biting... you used your health to the fullest... to the point of wearing it out.

(...as I am writing this I can envision your head tilted to one side with an ear raised slightly, awaiting my reply as you quizzically ask me, "Isn't that what my health is for?")

I think so, Diesel... at least now I do.

Thinking is what I thought I had been doing... so efficiently, in fact, some days I was completely exhausted from all the stuff I had thought about.

(you know what I'm talking about, Diesel - I'd come home and be "completely spent"... because I had such a busy day... thinking - about stuff - other people's stuff - how other people's stuff interacts with my own stuff - complex stuff...)

I have learned that a lot of my "thinking" was really more of an ongoing reorganization of stuff, stealing time away from the moment with no real value at all.

Living in this moment and letting go of "stuff" means you can spend all you have every day.


~ SPEND ALL YOU HAVE LEFT EVERY SINGLE DAY ~


Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind.
"Pooh?" he whispered.

"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's hand.
"I just wanted to be sure of you.” 

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

When I stopped thinking the goal every day was to "save" you, the focus instead became to "not outlive yourself".

**because I am human...
"Saving" you meant resting in your kennel so you could enjoy another day or rather we could enjoy another day of you. Well actually, having a dosage of "fun" and then more resting.

(ya Diesel, I can see the irony already and I haven't even thought of asking your opinion)

...but the thought of not letting you outlive yourself meant giving you back your life to spend, fully, each day - greeting your friends, sharing cupcakes, biting bubbles...

...being "all in".


"We'll be Friends Forever, won't we, Pooh?"
asked Piglet.

"Even longer." Pooh answered. 
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
Today is overcast, but resting outside on your bed is not idleness and staring at the clouds is never a waste of time... this was a wonderfully, productive day.


Together we read books, looked past the clouds, cast each of your brother's paw prints in a special stepping stone and made even more special memories that we can carry in our hearts.

The world is round and we aren't able to see too far down the road for a reason - you have reminded me that the earth was made to travel with bare feet and feeling the wind in your hair is freedom.

You have taken me "into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief.... for a time I rest in the grace of the world, and am free."

Thank you Diesel - spending today with you was worth more than ever, and yet, the closest to free.


Stepping stones can help mark your way on the path...

this one is special because it has a footprint for
Baxter, Diesel and Stimpey and it was made
by all of us to mark the present that today is.

Yesterday is history,
tomorrow is a mystery,
but today is a gift.
That's why we call it the present. 

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Check it out! A Diesel "Selfie".

If I just lay here,
will you lay with me
and just forget the world?


“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together...
there is something you must always remember...
you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.
But the most important thing is,
even if we're apart... I'll always be with you.” 

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

No comments:

Post a Comment